I tried writing this blog from the POV of a sexual predator but I gave up after a few attempts. I couldn’t get myself to think like an entitled imbecile who throws himself at women and believes that their gratitude for this attention should be paid by servility and sexual compliance.
This grey zone of sexual harassment is a judgmental space. It’s a zone of judgement and opinions. Men and women both get summarily dismissed by colleagues and observers for the ways they behaved or failed to behave at work. From allowing a hand on the thigh to drinking with a male colleague to being someone’s favourite at work to consistently dipping into the office pool to hone their marksmanship… the list is nuanced and long. The enforced bonding on projects and long hours at work have made the workplace a hotbed (pun intended) of potential exploitation in this desire for power and possession.
However, what constitutes sexual harassment? In my considered opinion, it is anything that involves :
- Using aggression, blackmail, power, promise of retribution, fear, undermining someone’s spirit … All for sexual dominance.
So, to clarify …. Gentlemen predators,
- If you believe that you own the women who work for you or with you …
- If you believe that women are basically dumb props and have made themselves available because they stepped out of their home to earn a living
- If you believe that women exist for your pleasure
- If you believe that women cannot achieve their goals without your proprietorial hand on their ass
- If you believe that your female colleagues need sex education
- If you believe that you are populating your personal harem while employing young, fresh ’talent’ then …
You are about to have your mask ripped off. And the world will see you for the self-entitled oaf you are. Because your Time is Up and you had it coming.
This applies to predators across the board, irrespective of gender or their leaning.